Still Water Canoeing

Today our grade 10 class went canoeing. I saw that you have to hold on to the gunwales and keep low while getting on the canoe, otherwise you will be unstable. We practiced j-strokes. J-strokes help keep your canoe go in a straight line without having to switch sides to paddle on. We also learnt to brake by holding the paddle still vertically in the water. We then learnt to raft up, which means that all the canoes come together and hold on to the canoes beside you. For the first part I started to paddle in the stern then we switched and I paddled in the bow of the canoe. We also learnt about hyperventilating and the rule 1-10-1, which stands for you will hyperventilate for 1 minutes, you have 10 minutes to get to shore, and 1 hour to stay conscious.
I enjoyed the canoeing and me and my partner did pretty well. For our moving water canoeing next time Mr. Coulson said to bring a windbreaker jacket, extra clothes in a waterproof bag, something to get the water out of the canoe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Most Important Thing About Wetlands

Tilden’s Principles of Interpretation

Whole Day River Canoe Trip